Skip to main content

Orientation Day: June 1

The traveler in me has yet to be disappointed with the eternal city. Today was filled with orientation in the morning and afternoon (bleh!) followed by freedom in the late afternoon and evening. In the morning, on our 15 minute guided walk to the Rome Center campus (where classes will be held) we passed by several important landmarks, monuments I will see everyday. We passed Santa Maria de Trastevere, Farnese Palace, Campo de Fiori and the famous statue of Giordarno Bruno a;so known as the 'martyr for science', and Chiesa Nuova (New Church, ironically not actually that new). At lunch we enjoyed pizza and a quick look at Chiesa di San Salvatore in Lauro.
Santa Maria in Trastevere
Chiesa Nuova

Chiesa di San Salvatore in Lauro

On our own, we explored Piazza Novona, Chiesa di Sant'Angese in Agone (Church of Saint Agnes in Agony), Castel San'Angelo, the Vatican and finally St. Peter's.

Facade of Chiesa di Sant'Angese in Agone
Obelisk at Piazza Navona





















Fountain at Piazza Navona
St. Peter's and Obelisk




















St. Peter's facade
Roommate shenanigas
Sunset
A pilgrim in awe





















Can you tell by my selection of pictures that I might be Catholic and in love with church architecture? Just a little?

We spent the evening with a great group of new friends eating pasta and pizza. I tried a fried zucchini flower that tasted amazing but reminded me oddly of a fried mozzarella stick. At dinner, I just happened to look over at the table next to us and lo-and-behold I saw Bishop Robert Barron the Roman Catholic Bishop of Los Angeles known internationally through his Facebook page with nearly one million followers. He graced me with a picture (below).


Lasagna al Forno
Bishop Barron and I





















We topped the evening off with gelato that was out of this world at Frigidarium. I took a picture of the sign because it featured the word 'Maestri' but was too tempted by my cone to take a picture of it before scarfing it down.


Now, a good night's sleep is calling me.

So, until next time, ciao!
Jacob








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Cannot Be Afraid Anymore

I never wanted to believe that this day would come, but I am writing to you for the very last time from Rome. I write out of a slight ignorance, as I should probably be studying for my exams tomorrow, but I am inspired and I will write. It seems as if living in Rome has only become a palpable reality in the past few days. For me, this is what has made this trip a true learning experience. I have lived in Rome, not merely vacationing or sightseeing, but living and breathing and relaxing in the same space as the Romans. I can walk with a confidence in the morning to class. I can give directions to lost tourists. I have soaked up the Italian culture and it has rewarded me. Of course, over the five weeks I have been here I have learned many facts about the Italian people, about the expanse of the Roman Empire and the strength of the Renaissance and Baroque movements. But, I would say none of these compare to the real lessons I have learned. My favorite movie of all time is Good Will

A Pope, A Middle Name, A Day to Never Forget

Do you remember in elementary school when teachers would make you draw a picture of your hero? For most everyone, including myself, it was their parents. My artistic drawing included my world renowned stick figures with elaborate lettering saying who the poorly drawn figure was. I can remember this cheesy activity vividly, but the more I thought about it today, I remembered how important it is to have heroes, human heroes we can look up to and admire. In a culture where box office block-busters depict super heroes who make you question what a hero even is, it is comforting to be optimistic in the goodness of a hero. Well, yesterday I met my hero. While Pope Francis became pope long after I was in grade school, it is obvious to most people even remotely close to me that I hold this man in high esteem. Was it the fact that I own a Pope Francis t-shirt that gave it away? Or perhaps how we share a name, my middle name being Francis? Shout out to Mom and Dad for that one. He is not only m

A Marriage, A Monk, A Train, A Town, A Saint

***** June 11th 11:00 Dinner Thursday night  offered my roommate Brock and I the opportunity to catch up with a friend and mentor of mine from high school, Father Elijah, who is studying for his doctorate in Rome. We spent the evening entertaining the topics of our lives, the pope, things to do in and around the Eternal City, and let funny stories keep the conversation alive. The highlight of the night included Elijah scaring the Spanish family next to us by putting up his monastic hood and sneaking behind them. It is always refreshing to have a night to relax and inspire each other, especially through the life of a monk. A group of college kids (Elijah counts right? hehe) We went to bed  Thursday night  with plans to travel to Castel Gandolfo  Friday evening . With excited anticipation we trudged through the school day and left immediately to our destination. Castel Gandolfo is the summer residence of the pope located on Lake Albano. The train ride is cheap (€4 round-trip)