Skip to main content

A Pope, A Middle Name, A Day to Never Forget

Do you remember in elementary school when teachers would make you draw a picture of your hero? For most everyone, including myself, it was their parents. My artistic drawing included my world renowned stick figures with elaborate lettering saying who the poorly drawn figure was. I can remember this cheesy activity vividly, but the more I thought about it today, I remembered how important it is to have heroes, human heroes we can look up to and admire. In a culture where box office block-busters depict super heroes who make you question what a hero even is, it is comforting to be optimistic in the goodness of a hero.

Well, yesterday I met my hero. While Pope Francis became pope long after I was in grade school, it is obvious to most people even remotely close to me that I hold this man in high esteem. Was it the fact that I own a Pope Francis t-shirt that gave it away? Or perhaps how we share a name, my middle name being Francis? Shout out to Mom and Dad for that one. He is not only my hero because I am Catholic and he is the Pope, although both are nice additions. Pope Francis' pastoral and charismatic way is electrifying and contagious, inspiring millions of people, Christian and Non-Christians alike, to be moral participants in society. Francis' outspoken nature on the necessity to care for those on the margins of society, those whom are used as objects rather than cherished as human beings, demonstrates his true love for all people of all cultures and backgrounds. The ability of Francis to establish an ideal, such as his emphasis of mercy, and back that ideal up with actions, challenges me to do the same. But, enough about why I love the Pope. The list could go on.

Yesterday, every idea, every inkling I had about Francis was brought to reality. No longer was the Pope an idealistic figure in a far off world where every dream comes true and happily ever afters exist. This is an exaggeration, of course, but you get the point. He was a living, breathing person standing fifteen feet away from me. In a paradoxical way, it was important for me to see Francis as a human. To know that this very powerful man, is just that, a man, gives me hope. To know that it is possible in a secularized society to live a fruitful and meaningful life, as Francis has shown, is utterly inspiring.

We had some time to spare once we got to our seats at the audience. I passed the time by reading. On my plate: Amoris Laetitia, a new exhortation by Pope Francis on marriage and the family. Ironically enough, the passage read at the audience was from the Wedding at Cana. The audience was conducted in six languages: Italian, French, English, German, Spanish, Arabic, and Portuguese. Francis gave his address on the scripture in Italian, but my Spanish-speaking friend knew enough to help me get the gist. The Pope made a joke that a party would be a disappointment if only tea was served. He said wine was necessary for a party, a very Italian thing to say! He spoke with grace and fervor, at times avoiding his prepared script and speaking from the heart. It was evident that this man knew how to lead the people of this world to God.

Waiting for the Pope by reading the Pope
We estimated the size of the audience to be about 15-20 thousand. 15-20 THOUSAND. And these events happen weekly. It is important to note that as an English-speaking American, I was in the minority. Italian and Spanish dominated. How beautiful to know that the Church is truly universal, open to all peoples of all backgrounds. Needless to say, I was proud to be Catholic yesterday.

The man himself
I think he was preparing to kiss a baby (one of the Pope's many talents)
On Sunday, I will be able to see another Francis, this one being my namesake, Francis of Assisi. I remember times when I was kid when I was foolishly ashamed of my middle name. But now, looking at the company with which I share it, I wouldn't change it for the world. So, to all my friends who have heard me incessantly talk about Pope Francis, know that I now have enough to talk about for a lifetime. In other words, get ready.

Until next time,
Jacob

Comments

  1. LOVE reading your blog, Jacob! Enjoy every minute of your time in Europe and keep us informed with lots of pictures. And eat...yes, do lots of that and go for gelato at night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE reading your blog, Jacob! Enjoy every minute of your time in Europe and keep us informed with lots of pictures. And eat...yes, do lots of that and go for gelato at night!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Cannot Be Afraid Anymore

I never wanted to believe that this day would come, but I am writing to you for the very last time from Rome. I write out of a slight ignorance, as I should probably be studying for my exams tomorrow, but I am inspired and I will write. It seems as if living in Rome has only become a palpable reality in the past few days. For me, this is what has made this trip a true learning experience. I have lived in Rome, not merely vacationing or sightseeing, but living and breathing and relaxing in the same space as the Romans. I can walk with a confidence in the morning to class. I can give directions to lost tourists. I have soaked up the Italian culture and it has rewarded me. Of course, over the five weeks I have been here I have learned many facts about the Italian people, about the expanse of the Roman Empire and the strength of the Renaissance and Baroque movements. But, I would say none of these compare to the real lessons I have learned. My favorite movie of all time is Good Will

We Have So Much To Live Up To

We went to 6 churches today. You think I'm joking. 6 churches. And the Pantheon. And the Trevi Fountain. And the Spanish Steps. And Altare della Patria. And Piazza del Popolo. It was a crazy day. But for this blog post I'm going to focus on the grandiose churches we visited. Are you ready to go to Church? We began in our portion of town at Basilica de Santa Maria (Holy Mary) in Trastevere. To put an age with this place, Christians have worshiped at this site since 221. Much of the church was covered in beautiful mosaics that I will not even attempt to put into words on this post. Mosaics Mosaics and Altar Most ornate ceiling of the churches we saw Madonna with Child We continued across the Tiber river and found ourselves in front of Basilica di San Bartolomeo all'Isola (Saint Bartholomew on the Island). Founded in the tenth century, this church contains the remains of Saint Bartholomew, the apostle--something I didn't realize until much later. I wi